"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Monday, October 24, 2011

Today's Doctor Visit

Today's doctor visit was about as good as Thursday's lawyer visit was bad. This doctor was very professional, calm, and kind. He was there to do a job and I felt like he was completely honest with me.

To make a long story short, he confirmed my bipolar disorder but as part of schizoaffective disorder. So now I have schizoaffective disorder - bipolar type. I'm going to have to do some studying to fully understand the differences but I'm going to keep posting my mental health stuff under the category "Bipolar."

I'm running on 5 hours of sleep so forgive me for not taking more time to share with you today. I hope to have some information posted tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Kenny was diagnosed with schizoaffective diorder. We still tell people bi-polar. Well wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had several diagnoses for my chronic pain problem, so many in fact that I don't even take them seriously anymore. Of course, your new doc could be right, but I, for one, no longer have a great deal of faith in doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's even harder to have confidence in psychiatry since diagnosis is usually based upon a short meeting with the patient and an incomplete, usually biased, history.

    I suspect that my diagnosis is closer to true than not and I've thought that might be the case since the anti-psychotic stopped the hallucinations. Generally, bipolar disorder doesn't cause continual hallucinations - they only happen with severe highs and lows. But for me, my voices were a constant problem and now they are gone.

    I don't think this will really change anything about me. It doesn't change who I am or what I'm dealing with. It doesn't even change my medication regimen.

    I sincerely believe the best tools one can have when combatting mental illness are education and skepticism.

    ReplyDelete