"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Day Has Come

It's been a long time in the closet and I'm tired. I've really put myself out there since I started writing this blog, the other, and becoming active on several sites. I'm tired of having to keep quiet while people parade their religion and political views. I'm tired of having people use the word "atheist" around me like it's a dirty word. I'm tired of people trying to impose their religion on me through the ballot box.

And most of all, I'm tired of worrying that someone is going to out me to my family.

Now the day has come, it seems, because I've been placed under that threat. That's ok. I haven't said anything that's not true and that I would take back. The chances of my parents finding out this week are extremely high so I've made the first move - the one I've wanted to make for a long time. I wrote my mom a message and told her the truth.

I don't know how she'll react and I can't be responsible for that. I have to be responsible for my life, my actions, and my words. I'm proud that I can now attach my name and face to those words if I so choose. I'm glad that I can be free to speak my mind and, if someone doesn't like it, they can either say so or shut up.

I'm glad that I can finally be me!

My name is Jen. I'm an atheist with bipolar disorder. And I don't care what anybody thinks about it.

1 comment:

  1. Your realization that you cannot be responsible for someone else's reaction is spot on. It took me way too long to get this one through my head. I think you are going to enjoy being yourself!

    ReplyDelete